How to take effective notes for studying
Here are the basics of how to take notes for studying.
1. Choose a topic (or topics) that you want to learn about.
2. Organize your notes by dividing each page into two columns — one for what you read and one for your notes.
3. In the first column, write down the main ideas of that part of the text and bullet points of what you want to remember about those main ideas (e.g., dates, terms, definitions, etc.).
4. Underline or highlight key passages in yellow while reading. This will help you focus on important information while taking notes and later review your highlighted portions when reviewing your notes at home or at school.
5. Write down questions in the second column which come to mind during reading; this will help direct further research and provide a basis for discussion later on during class discussions or with friends outside of class time.